Share dealing

What is share dealing? 

Share dealing is a form of investing where you can buy and sell shares in publicly listed companies. Each share is a single unit of ownership in a listed company. When you buy a share in a company, you become a shareholder. Shares can be held via a share certificate or electronically via the Nominee account.

As a shareholder you are entitled to receive dividends (when declared) on your shares and vote on resolutions at the Annual General Meeting.

A dividend is a payment by the company to shareholders, and usually represents a share of the profits. Companies do not have to pay a dividend, although many do. There are no guarantees though, and always remember that both dividends and the value of shares can fall as well as rise. If you are unsure about investing in shares, you should seek independent investment advice.

What is a share dealing account? 

Share dealing accounts are an electronic way to buy, sell, or hold shares in a company.

How do I start share dealing? 

The easiest and cheapest way to buy shares is online from a 'share dealing service', which allow you to buy and sell shares from listed companies.

What share dealing service does Legal & General use? 

You can buy or sell shares from Legal & General and many other UK companies quickly and easily, through the Computershare Share Dealing Service.

How can I buy or sell shares?

To enrol with Computershare’s share dealing service you will first need to register your account on

To register your account, you will need your Shareholder Reference Number (‘SRN’) which can be found on your welcome letter or by contacting Computershare.

Once you have registered with Investor Centre you will be able to, should you wish to, sign up for Computershare’s online share dealing service where you will also need to complete an Anti-Money Laundering (AML) check before you can buy or sell your shares.

The AML checks can, in some circumstances, take a couple of days to complete, so you might find it helpful to register in advance so that you are all ready to go when you decide you wish to buy or sell Legal & General shares.

How do I sell my shares if I hold them in a share certificate

If you hold your shares in the form of a share certificate, you will need to send Computershare the original share certificate and an authorisation letter before your shares can be sold, which will take longer than selling shares from the CSN.

If you would like to transfer the shares you hold in a share certificate into the Nominee so that your shares are held electronically, you can send your original share certificate along with a deposit form, which can be downloaded from the Investor Centre, to Computershare at:

Computershare Investor Services Plc
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
BS99 6ZZ.